Prevent the Objection, "Not Interested." Strategy 4 of 6
Objection 1 of 85: Not interested.
When does it usually occur? Initial contact.
Probable Cause: Prospect does not believe a need exists.
Objective: Establish a need.
Prevention Strategy four of six:
Ask about the missing Advantages and Benefits that your Unique Selling Point (USP) Feature provides. Ask about the costs associated with not having them. Connect your USP Feature that provides the solution to its Advantages and Benefits that fill the need.
For example, from Blog # 14 FAB - The Persuasive Language of Selling:
Feature – Containers made of plastic
Advantage – Won't rust
Benefit – Lowers maintenance and replacement costs caused by rust.
After completing your brief initial research, you find out that the prospective customer uses metal containers that rust (see their product on the resellers' shelves, ask other customers who use metal containers, look them up online, etc.
Now you can ask the questions that establish the need (gap):
- How many containers do you need to replace each year due to Rust?
- How much do you budget each year for replacement containers?
- What costs are associated with replacing the containers? Labor to move the product, hazards involved? What other costs are involved?
- Point to rust stains, how much time (at what cost) does it take to clean those?
- Point to rusting containers, how does this visual negatively impact sales? Reputation?
The need is the gap between the current condition and a better condition. You point out the size of the gap by determining the costs of not having the need filled.
- Use the prospect's facts and figures to determine costs.
- If the prospect is reluctant to give those numbers, then use industry standards.
This blog's content comes from Chapter 6: Strategies Specific to Each Objection in the Objection Free Selling book.
See blog #8 related to how to conduct a Competitor Analysis to identify the objections you'll get, how to neutralize them, and how to develop Unique Selling Points. Also, see blog #9, Unique Selling Points.
Select this link to preview and buy the eBook: Objection Free Selling
Select this link to the eLearning course: Objection Free Selling
Select this link to connect with Bob on LinkedIn.
Dr. Robert “Bob” DeGroot, M.Ed., DCH
Author of 22 Best Selling eBooks
Sales Training International
© 2020 Robert P DeGroot